Sunday, January 13, 2008

Monkey Business – the cricket connect

(Karthik Narayan)

If Darwin did a John 1:1, this is how it would look like:

“In the beginning, there was the word; and the word was monkey!”

I had my doubts – when Darwin came in my nightmares (read biology classes) and told me that man came from monkey, I scowled at him. I gave him a banana and asked him to go climb some tree. But I think that I made a mistake…

When I first saw the cricketing crowd in Mumbai imitate a gorilla, I thought they were fancying Andrew Symonds’ speed and skill, but later I came to know they were being themselves. More importantly, I would have never guessed cricket would be the harbinger of Darwin’s theory.

I always thought Harbhajan was as full of tricks as a monkey, but I didn’t know he would do “the monkey” dance for a healthy crowd at Sydney Cricket Ground and millions others watching from home or work. A nice way to begin the year 2008, I am sure.

I knew I had found out the answer to evolution. I was a monkey’s uncle now. Not to mention I was becoming wise monkey.

Though I still wonder, who the trainer is, behind all this. Any answers?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home